A step toward taking it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great site. I've forwarded it to others not at Flowerchat. :)

V

Interesting site but seems very wordy for the consumer to keep reading beyond the first or second page. The other concern is that by actually listing the OG's and "fraudulent" sites with a link, it only perpetuates their popularity by making the search engines think they are "popular" as they scoot thru here.Also, dmoz has become outdated because they have had problems getting "real editors" to review listings. ..take a look at the florists in Florida and see the OG;s that are there.Dmoz uses real people editors to do the reviewing of sites and determines which site is listed but that editor does only one category.. it is possible to get an og listing in say "florists in Florida" and then go to say "gifts" and get another listing because a whole new editor reviews the gift listings.They do not communicate with each other nor does dmoz have a "double check" system to weed out multiple listings. Add to that fact, many editors of the Florist category are actually florists who have "donated" their time, they can then "cherry pick" and eliminate their competition from the florists category. This detective site is a good idea and a good beginning but needs some tweaking and I am sure does not want to increase the rankings of the OG sites by providing a link.

The following was posted on this board some time ago and expressed some of the concerens florists had about the mechanics of how dmoz selects sites.. I present this as a commentary not a judgement of the total dectective site but the concerns that were expressed in the past lead me to believe that perhaps dmoz was not the best choice for floristdetective to use and reinforces the concerns I have about my site which was submitted several times over a two year period to dmoz was never listed. However, my competitor who has his "images" and I use that term loosely, is listed and yet he touts himself as a Miamii florist, a Boca florist etc........I do not know anymore details of this post but it seems like when you allow someone in your own industry to "review" your site, you are subject to having some very personal agendas involved. IMHO

I listed with dmoz 1 years ago, Checked back a month later and was surprised to see I did get listed right away. Was checking my listing at a later date and found when I entered my URL I did not show up. So for months I thought I was removed. Checked today and it stills shows me as not showing up in the project, anywhere! So as I was browsing around to see what shops were listed I found I am listed under the following:
would anyone here be able to tell me why I don't show up when I specifically enter my URL directly. WWW.colemanflorist.com

This makes no sense to me.[/B]

Regional: North America: United States: New York: Localities: S: Syracuse: Business and Economy: Shopping

I can answer that. It seems that one or more of the editors at dmoz thought that having a template site like Teleflora or FTD sites were not different enough. So they were booted. Now if you have any unique content on your site like arrangements from your own shop or such you might not be booted but I don't know how they graded these things.

Also if you use just wire service images on YOUR OWN site you got booted. I got booted because of this even though I also sell cheesecakes on my site. I also got booted from my local listing (I have not even checked to see if it is back) because they said they couldn't find my reall address. Well they obviously didn't look very hard because on EVERY page there is a link to our contact information.

And by the way it was a FLORIST that instigated this. One that I have lost respect for because of this move. I have worked hard making my site and what a blow this was esspecially since they have a TELEFLORA site themselves with just a few added pages of their own items and such.

I am sorry but for some reason this really smacks as self serving.
Please do not even try to ask me who this florist is because you will not ever get an answer from me. This is something that is done and knowing who was involed will not change anything.

Reactions: 1 person
Floristdetective

I agree, great site...despite a few typos. With a little tweaking this site could prove to be a valued resource for information. Consumer re-education is vital. One more voice for the industry :thumbsup Kudos to floristdetective :)

flowerchild said:
Consumer re-education is vital.

And more will be added, like pages on FTD, Teleflora, 800F etc...

I understand the concern about the links, but to educate some risk must be taken...also those listed already have high page ranks, now it's a matter of educating consumers and florists alike.

We are starting a movement in my area to re-form the old district, all based around educating florists, evaluating business, and showing them where they are losing money. One of my wholesalers has comitted to spreading the word by passing out the FlowerChat URL, along with Realflorist, and telling folks about the directory.

Using his figures, out of 100 shops, he guesses that 40-45 are not making it...and if the industry loses them, so does the wholesaler, who would then be next in line to die...

Interesting site. I have seen this listing of florists s o m e w h e r e though I just cannot remember where??? We are listed too (Golden Rose Florist)!

I think this new site is fantastic!! This is a valuable tool in directing any news media to research what is going on in our industry. This would be the perfect place for them to start. Almost everything is there for them to see and investagate on their own. But I have one question. Is there a way for them to contact anyone for more information? Fantastic work!!

FloristDetective site

Boss,
Great site. I was looking over the new page you provided the link to. They have links in this paragraph about "JustFlowers":
"We found this comment by a former employee of an affiliate reseller to be quite telling. And here's yet another one."

The "yet another one" link takes you to a comment by someone who tells people to go to "flowersearch.com" to find a real florist.

This "flowersearch.com" is a direct link back to "JustFlowers".

I have submitted a comment to the Florist Detectives to alert them to this.

Neat site though.
Glenn

master J said:
can i post this on my web site without gettin in trouble?
You should be able to link to it...maybe with a "Consumer Alert" type of header...

You should not worry about "getting in trouble" as you had nothing to do with it's construction...

tech savvy gurus....

how can I print out those pages?? change the view? Help? Would like to print out the pages to post on my counter....

Status
Not open for further replies.